Since I will be spending another three weeks at home for this one month semester break, I think I might need something to keep myself busy or I will be spending most of my time being a couch potato. I told myself that "hey, maybe I should start doing art". So this is where this whole paper mache idea came popping up in my head like popcorn. I googled up every single idea on how to make this paper mache thing. Speaking of which, has any of you remember 'Art Attack' where Neil Buchanan was the host for the show? Anyone? Because I would have not known about this paper mache thingy if it was not because of him :)
So here I want to present you my very first masterpiece using paper mache *drum rolls*. Japanese kimono doll. I know it is not perfect, but I am satisfied with my project :) oh and I also put some information on how to do this Japanese kimono doll. Hope you like it! xx
To make this doll, all you need is :
- Some newspaper
- Masking tape
- Pva glue (any glue will do)
- A little bit of water
- Strips of kitchen towel
- Acrylic paint (I use poster colour since I do not have any of acrylic paint on hand)
- First you need to make two rounded balls and tape 'em together. One is for the head, another one is for the body.
- For the hair : I make two small balls (hair buns) and attach 'em to the head.
- As you can see in the picture, I also add some details to the kimono (optional).
- Next you have to cover the doll with kitchen towel strips using some glue and a little bit of water (it should be mixed together). But do not make it too runny.
- Let it dry completely.
- Next step (the part that you've been waiting for), COLOUR!
- To make it shiny, you can cover it with pva glue. But do not add water this time!
- And there you have it, a masterpiece :)